Saturday, January 7, 2012

Who needs crackers?


We did a pretty good job of emptying the pantry and the refrigerator over Christmas and it didn't get restocked before we left on vacation.  I jumped in the car on Thursday morning to head to the grocery store to only to find out that my car wouldn't start.  to be honest, I wasn't too upset because I really wasn't looking forward to grocery shopping anyway.  I went back inside and pulled a container of chicken soup out of my freezer to feed my family for dinner.  (Oh how I love meals that I can pull out of the freezer.)   I found all of the ingredients to make homemade corn muffins in the house and I thought they would be the perfect compliment to the chicken soup.  (and we were low on crackers too.) 


Corn Muffins
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal (white or yellow)
¼ cup sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
1/3 cup canola oil
¾ cup corn kernels

Combine first 6 ingredients.


Whisk together egg, yolk, buttermilk and oil.


Stir into dry ingredients.


  Fold in corn.


 Fill greased muffin cups ¾ full and bake 18 minutes at 400.  (I made 18 muffins)


 
 
 I cool mine in the pans about 5 minutes and then move them to a wire rack.



I like to eat my corn muffins hot out of the oven.  They are especially good when they're warm and eaten with butter. 


If you're in the mood for corn muffins (or if you're just out of crackers) give these corn muffins a try.  They're easy and delicious.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment